Sunday, April 22, 2007

Book Review - Food Finds: America's Best Local Foods and the People Who Produce Them

Food Finds: America's Best Local Foods and the People Who Produce Them
Allison Engel and Margaret Engel
Paperback
Quill/HaperCollins Canada
480 pages
$27.50 CDN

Usually I review sparkling new books, but I just had to tell you about this one, last published in 2000 .

It is the perfect accompaniment for a food lover. Small companies that produce their own food. They are American companies, so the products probably aren't that familiar. As well, many of these products are based on family recipes and the places so small that many don't have websites and don't accept credit cards (though cheques are okay!). It is great fun and quaint all at once.

You can find everything from natural barrel dill pickles to Moxie soda pop and Loveless Motels Hams and Jams. This incredibly comprehensive book has every category that will satisfy your cravings - breads and crackers, dessert sauces, meat, soups and chilis along with many others. This is something that you'll be going through for some time. You might even want to make it into a road trip.

My beloved and I might make the drive to search out salt water taffy and State of Maine Beans. Or maybe we'll hit all the pretzels, chips and popcorn makers. I love the discovery of new foods and American products have such a distinct flavour and sensibility that I can't wait to expand my food knowledge and palate.

And I promise to tell you everything upon my return!

- Stephanie

No comments: