Monday, May 21, 2007

Book Review - Simply Salads

Simply Salads
Jennifer Chandler
Thomas Nelson Publishers
272 pages
$30.99 CDN

I love salad more than anything but I find it hard to think outside the box and really get creative with them.

Thank goodness for Jennifer Chandler.

She has created a book filled with over 100 recipes that are made from packaged greens and “a few easy-to-find ingredients.” It is also beautifully photographed so you get a real sense of what it should look like – always helpful when assembling a salad, I think.

The book is divided into succinct sections – greens, poultry, meat, seafood, vegetables, fruit, beans/grains/rice/pasta, slaws and vinaigrettes and dressings – so you can find what you’re looking got quickly.

Jennifer gives you a list for what to stock in your kitchen in order to make salads. The list includes basic kitchen utensils, pantry items and perishable and refrigerator items, so you can be sure that you will have what you need on hand when making your salad.

I am excited to add these new salads to my roster of usual suspects. I would have never come up with these on my own, like:

Southern Caesar Salad (with grits croutons)
Jalapeno Chicken Salad with Avocado Dressing
Grilled Lamb and Tabbouleh Salad
Lobster Salad with Grapefruit Vinaigrette
Crawfish Salad with Spicy Cajun Remoulade

So tonight, I am going to leave my Italian mixed greens with carrots behind and try something completely different.

I can’t wait.

- Stephanie

No comments: